Tim Wilson <wilson at visi.com> writes:

> I was hoping that some of you may have experience moving a large number of
> email users from one system to another.
>
> What did you do with incoming messages during the transition time?

The easiest thing to do with the incoming is *nothing*; just make sure
the system won't accept them *and lose them* during the transition.
They'll sit perfectly happily on the sending server for at least 3
days (many use 7 days) before bouncing.

Otherwise, set up an interim server (or mangle the old server) to
accept mail and hold it to deliver when you tell it to.  This does
protect you against running into trouble and taking more than three
days to get the new server up :-).

> How did you move the mailboxes from the old system to the new one?

However I moved everything else.  By copying the files.  NFS, or put
both disks in the same machine, or tape, mostly (as actual statements
about how I've done it, I mean) .
--
David Dyer-Bennet, <mailto:dd-b at dd-b.net>, <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>