Hey everyone,

Our school district has seen an enormous increase in the number of
legitimate and spam email messages in the last year. Compared to October
2003, last month saw an increase of 35% for legitimate email. The number of
messages trapped by our spam filters went from 75,000 in October 2003 to
over 1,000,000 last month alone. Our existing system, a PowerMac G4 running
EIMS (Eudora Internet Mail Server) on OS 9, is buckling under the strain. We
have a dual-G5 Xserve on the way and plan to move all of our 2,000 users to
Postfix running on OS X.

Most of our users are accessing their email via POP, although some are using
IMAP. Most of them download their messages to their computers, but quite a
few leave them on the server. We also have a mixture of OS 9, OS X, and
Windows XP machines around here.

I was hoping that some of you may have experience moving a large number of
email users from one system to another.

What did you do with incoming messages during the transition time?

How did you move the mailboxes from the old system to the new one?

I'm just hoping to glean some wisdom from the gnarly old mail server admins
on the list in order to head off as many problems as possible. Our existing
system is on life support and I'm afraid we don't have a lot of time to make
this switch.

-Tim

--
Tim Wilson