On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 12:19:55 -0600, Thomas T. Veldhouse <veldy at veldy.net> wrote:
> Jason Sievert wrote:
>
> >", for any business enterprise,"
> >
> >I thought that since I am not running a business out of this that I
> >would be ok with the TOS.
> >

> That was just one item in a long list.
>
> "... you agree not to use the Service for operation as an Internet
> service provider, a server site for ftp, telnet, rlogin, e-mail hosting,
> "web hosting" or other similar applications, for any business
> enterprise, or as an end-point on a non-Comcast local area network or
> wide area network."

The way that the sentence is constructed, it could be construed three
different ways:

a) a list of four forbidden items, the items being internet service
provider, server site (with ftp etc. describing the phrase "server
site"), business enterprise, or end-point

b) a list of three forbidden items, the items being ISP, server site
for a business enterprise, and end-point.

c) a list of two forbidden items, similar applications (encompassing
everything from "ISP" until "enterprise") and end-point.

I am inclined to agree with reading C, simply because the word "as" is
only used twice. With this interpretation, it seems that hosting a
personal email server for non-business use would not violate the TOS.
However, this is the opinion of someone who is finishing up a
double-major in English and Philosophy, and NOT the opinion of a
lawyer.

-Patrick