On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 11:56:22 -0600, Patrick Hawkins <phawk42 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've *almost* finished getting Gentoo going on my laptop. I posted the
> following on the Gentoo forums, and have had no takers. I was
> wondering if anyone out in tclug-land could help me.
>
> I was happily emerging kde. When I checked back in on it, the laptop
> had frozen; I could not get to another screen via ALT-F2, -F3, etc.,
> and I couldn't get anything up on the screen at all. Not the emerge,
> not a prompt, nothing. So after about ten minutes of waiting I powered
> down.
>
> On powering back up, the good news is is that my LCD isn't broken. The
> bad news is is that fsck and eth0 are both b0rked beyond belief. At
> boot time fsck throws a superblock error and asks for a manual fix. I
> don't know enough to do a manual fix. A probably relevant fact is that
> it tries to do fsck on /dev/BOOT and then it tells me to do the manual
> fix on /dev/ROOT ("R" rather than "B"). I am very unfamiliar with
> fsck, so I would appreciate being babied through this.

You didn't modify /etc/fstab on your new system's image. Boot off your
install disc, mount your partitions the same way you did in the
beginning of the installation (you can go step by step, just don't
repartition or format)
i.e.:
# mount /dev/hda2 /mnt/gentoo
# mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/gentoo/boot
# swapon /dev/hda3
# mount -t proc -o bind /proc /mnt/gentoo/proc
# chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
# source /etc/profile
# env-update

Now:
# nano -w /etc/fstab
-> Modify /dev/BOOT to read /dev/hda1, etc. etc. etc.

Next, just double check your grub conf is right:
# nano -w /boot/grub/grub.conf

> When this happened it also broke eth0. It appears to boot up
> correctly, ifconfig eth0 appears more normal than usual, but upon
> opening a browser or pinging any site absolutely nothing happens. Not
> a thing. lsmod shows absolutely no modules, and I don't remember
> whether I put dhcp support into the kernel directly or via a module,
> but either way I have no idea how to check whether I did or didn't, or
> how to rectify the situation.

(dhcp is in your net config, not a kernel module, fyi)
check your net conf for your proper network configuration.
# nano -w /etc/conf.d/net
then add nameservers to resolve.conf (I've seen it where with DHCP, if
resolv.conf doesn't already exist, gentoo won't create & populate it
for some reason. This was with random revisions quite awhile ago
though.
# nano -w /etc/resolv.conf
-> add "nameserver 1.2.3.4 5.6.7.8"

Now, please (for your sake) review the install documentation from the
beginning, make sure you did each step, and when you get to the end
where it says you have a bootable system (after you've installed a
cron daemon, syslog, and whatever the other service you install there)
reboot and make sure it comes up properly. *THEN* start installing
stuff like KDE (good news here: anything that was already installed
will be there (dependencies and such) so you haven't wasted too much
time.

> my file system is
>
> /dev/hda1 = boot
> /dev/hda2 = storage
> /dev/hda3 = swap
>
> hda1 & hda2 are ext3.
>
> I would be eternally grateful to anyone who helps me.

np