On Fri, Nov 05, 2004 at 09:14:11AM -0600, Chris Schumann wrote:
> I've got a laptop with a failing hard drive. I now have a replacement. Now
> I have to copy the data off. Here's my plan, and I'm hoping someone will
> say "Looks good to me" or "No no, you doofus, like this:"
>
> 1. Put new drive in the laptop to be fixed. Let's call that machine A.
> Boot knoppix from CD. (Why? Because it's pretty and I can noodle around
> while copying data.)
>
> 2. Put old drive in any old laptop, called B. Boot knoppix from CD.
>
> 3. Network the machines.
>
> 4. On A, run something like "rsh b 'cat /dev/hda' > /dev/hda". No, it
> can't be that easy, can it? Do I need to use dd (even though that just
> copies bytes)?

Your plan sounds about right, except there are better ways to do
the actual copying.  Take a look at the "Ghetto Ghost" threads
from long ago on this list:

  1.  http://archives.real-time.com/pipermail/tclug-list/2001-May/035331.html
  2.  http://archives.real-time.com/pipermail/tclug-list/2001-June/037143.html
  3.  http://archives.real-time.com/pipermail/tclug-list/2001-June/037381.html