On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 09:14:11 -0600 (CST), Chris Schumann
<cschumann at twp-llc.com> wrote:
> I've got a laptop with a failing hard drive. I now have a replacement. Now
> I have to copy the data off. Here's my plan, and I'm hoping someone will
> say "Looks good to me" or "No no, you doofus, like this:"
>
> 1. Put new drive in the laptop to be fixed. Let's call that machine A.
> Boot knoppix from CD. (Why? Because it's pretty and I can noodle around
> while copying data.)
>
> 2. Put old drive in any old laptop, called B. Boot knoppix from CD.
>
> 3. Network the machines.
>
> 4. On A, run something like "rsh b 'cat /dev/hda' > /dev/hda". No, it
> can't be that easy, can it? Do I need to use dd (even though that just
> copies bytes)?

Yes, I would do it this way though:

(on new drive) nc -l -p 1234 > dd of=/dev/hda
(on old drive)  dd if=/dev/hda > nc <ip of other host> 1234

You can do this from most any knoppix dist.

The only thing I would say is this will bring over the same partition
table too, so if the new drive is smaller, you're not going to like
the results, and if it's larger, you'll have to shuffle data and
repartition.

Alternatively, format the new drive and set up a partition scheme on
it, then move over data from each partition individually (dd
if=/dev/hda5....) instead.