I don't think PGP/GPG is going to catch on with Grandma. (or Joe
6-pack for that matter.) As far as I know, PGP Freeware is no longer
being developed.

GPG has a fairly steep learning curve, unless the GUI utilities for
windows (and other OSes) get an overhaul by developers who are
developing for Grandma not themselves, there really isn't a good
option for PGP/GnuPG for the non-advanced user.

The best option for GnuPG stuff on Windows (and other platforms) right
now is Thunderbird + enigmail (http://enigmail.mozdev.org/). I've got
it working on Windows, Mac, and Linux and I'm quite happy with it. On
Windows, I went with Windows Privacy Tools
(http://winpt.sourceforge.net/en/) instead of the GnuPG binaries form
gnupg.org. Setup was easier, and you have a GUI frontend for Windows.
I used this setup to replace PGP Freeware when I upgraded my
girlfriends computer to Windows XP (PGP Freeware doesn't support
WinXP...no big loss though!)

For my girlfriend who was already familiar with PGP, the transition to
the new tools wasn't hard at all. But for a Grandma? Not likely...my
Grandma hasn't figured out the entering a subject thing yet. I had to
whitelist her or every message got marked as spam due to no
subject...*sigh*.

What Grandma wants is a system that is transparent to her. In that
respect, we're looking for something on the server side. The systems
along the line of publishing the legitimate mail servers for a
domain/ip block as an extension to DNS or something of that nature
would be a good first step. Spammers will still be out there, but at
least you can cut down on the zombie mail servers somewhat as your
mailserver can look and see "Hey, this isn't an authorized mail server
for this IP block....denied!" I suppose that falls into the draconion
smtp hack category...but it is along the lines of what Grandma wants.
I haven't been following SPF, Server Keys, etc...but I think this is
what they are trying for...

The important part is that all ISPs, businesses, etc need to agree on
this, and agree to move away from the old systems. You'll find ISPs
the most receptive I think, but businesses, espically small ones with
little or no IT staff, will resist unless it's made law. Businesses
have grown to depend on their e-mail, and adding something that might
cause them not to get e-mail from an improtant client (who is behind
the technology curve perhaps) is not good business.

The problem with making it law is that somebody has to enforce it.
That pretty much falls on the back of ISPs at some point, so in the US
you suddenly have ISPs doing the job of the executive branch...so in
the end you are pretty much back where we started...

What a mess we've made. :D

--
Andrew S. Zbikowski | http://andy.zibnet.us
 A password is like your underwear; Change it