> I did a "seat of the pants" install of Debian on it just to see if I
> could get it to run.
> It works but it's not a final installation. I'll need to get it
> configured correctly so I
> can use the machine the right way.
>
> When I installed I had to create a BSD bootable something and used SDA.
> I'm not sure what I did to get Linux on SDB but thats where it ended up.
>     (My fdisk skills need to be better so I get it all working as it
> should.)
> I put the Swap on SDE just because it was easy to remember where it was.

I'd recommend reading through the SRM Howto:
http://www.alphalinux.org/faq/srm.html

The RedHat 7.1 alpha install guide has some additional information about
SRM:
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7.1-Manual/alpha-install-guide/s1-alpha-srm.html

In particular, how to make it boot unattended:
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7.1-Manual/alpha-install-guide/s1-guimode-post-installation.html

Note, that SRM uses BSD disklabels. Traditionally slice c (sdX3 to
linux) is the whole disk (True64 requires this) but if you're not dual
booting with BSD, True64 or VMS you don't actually have to care about
this. But you do need to leave ~1mb of unpartitioned space at the
beginning of the drive to fit aboot into.

My Multia fried a while back, so its been a few years since I messed
with SRM...