Callum Lerwick writes:
> Now it would be trivial to just have stunnel output the IP and source
> port upon connecting to the wrapped daemon and patch the daemon to use
> this information...

sslserver already does this and will work with any program that follows the
UCSPI interface:

http://www.superscript.com/ucspi-ssl/sslserver.html

> But I think the REAL reason is SSL/TLS is "too hard" to implement.
> Clearly there needs to be a simplified library interface to allow
> basic encryption to be easily implemented...

I agree completely.  I've been looking at implementing a minimal SSL library
(the minimum required for HTTPS) using LibTomCrypt:

http://libtomcrypt.org/

Something similar to MatrixSSL would be nice (only public domain instead of
GPL):

http://www.matrixssl.org/

MatrixSSL has a relatively simple socket API, though it's not suitable for
all applications as it's blocking.

--
David Phillips <david at acz.org>
http://david.acz.org/