On Thu, 27 May 2004 20:47:15 -0500
"David Phillips" <david at acz.org> wrote:

> Josh Trutwin writes:
> > I've thought about taking a lot of my saved mailing list email
> > messages and putting them in MySQL or something and having a
> > fulltext search with a little web front end so I don't have to
> > burden my client so much when searching for messages, Maildir
> > format messages would make programming this application a little
> > easier.
>
> This approach has worked well for at least one company:
>
> http://lists.mysql.com/mysql/136214
>
> I am only aware of one publicly available mail server that does
> this:
>
> http://dbmail.org/
>
> I would do testing before I trusted it, though.

I've heard of this, though I cannot say I've heard how well it works.  I'm not thinking of a mail server that stores all my messages in MySQL, more like a selective archive.  I have a lot of old archived messages from various ML's I'm on that I keep because I come back to them once in a while to remember how to do something.  I only want these messages indexed and offloaded to a database so I can query them when I cannot remember how that one xargs command worked or something.  The point was that long after the mail had been delivered, with good use of IMAP server side folders and maildir message format it'd be pretty easy to move these old messages into MySQL.

Anyway, enjoy the weekend!

Josh