Josh Close wrote:

>>>First off, I'm using gentoo with kde.

Gentoo is the bestest!  Long live distro wars! :)

>>>When I open a command prompt I get the ugly no color bash
>>>

>>prompt. I can do
>>

>>>"source /etc/profile" to change that. So, I added that to
>>>

>>my .bashrc file.
>>
>>when you say you open a command prompt do you mean you start
>>an xterm or
>>the like?
>>
>>try xterm -ls and see what happens.
>>
>> > I'm guessing this is the wrong way to do this. What would be the
>> > "right" way? Or more appropriate way?

<snip>

Hey Josh,

I'm using gentoo myself and there are a lot of "tricks" to get around
this sort of thing, but who wants to run xterm -ls everytime?  Of course
you could just set it up as  an alias using the alias command ... but
... eww.  The standard convention is to use .Xdefaults in your home
directory (since you're using X).  You will like this, I promise you.

The format looks something like this:

----BEGIN----
# Font
XTerm*faceSize: 10

# Colors
XTerm*background: black
XTerm*foreground: white
XTerm*cursorColor: goldenrod

# Get rid of that annoying cursor blink, ugh! that is like *so* 80ish :)
XTerm*cursorBlink: false

# XTerm Options

# this first option duplicates `xterm -ls` so you can just type `xterm`
... sort of like an alias
#    well who am I kidding? this whole file is an alias
XTerm*loginShell: true
XTerm*VT100*geometry: 80x25
XTerm*ScrollBar:        on
XTerm*TitleBar:         on
XTerm*AutoRaise:        on
XTerm*termtype:         vt100
XTerm*ttyModes:         intr ^c erase ^h susp ^@ dsusp ^@ kill ^u eof ^d

# These will change the color in your man pages
*VT100*colorUL: yellow
*VT100*coloBD: purple
----END---

An important point to make is these options work for XTerm.  If you want
to set these for another term program like aterm or something then just
replace XTerm for ATerm (or Aterm sorry).

Do this in vim
---CODE---
vim ~/.Xdefaults
:%s/XTerm/ATerm/g
:wq
---/CODE---

Or using sed
---CODE---
cp ~/.Xdefaults ~/.Xdefaults.bak;
sed s/XTerm/Aterm/ ~/.Xdefaults > /tmp/tempfile.326;
mv /tmp/tempfile.326 ~/.Xdefaults;
---/CODE---

Heh, since you are a KDE user, I would personally recommend you get
Eterm, very much ... umm ... eye candy I guess it is.  Just try emerge
-p x11-terms/eterm.  I am a WindowMaker kind of guy so I use rxvt.  You
might call it boring :)

But take a look at the other terminal programs available to us at
http://www.gentoo-portage.com/browse-portage.php?category=79

Hope that helps

Adam Shrode