On Tue, May 25, 2004 at 06:11:07PM -0500, Tom Penney wrote:

> LOL. As a business owner, after verifying that the "piece of paper" "is,
> in fact, legal", would you blindly throw away your business by violating
> the the law to protect the privacy of your customers???

No, but I will turn it over to our lawyer for clarification on exactly
what we're required to turn over. At that point the law enforcement agency
will receive the bare minimum required to fulfill the warrant.

> Your privacy rights are defined by the law, not by you. If the law says
> "Show me the mail" then the mail they will see, no matter who your
> provider is.

My privacy rights have been continually eroded by people who like the motto
"if you've got nothing to hide, why do you care?". Unfortunately those people
are short sighted sheep. If the warrant says 'give me a record of who
customer X has been emailing' /var/log/maillog should be turned over with
the appropriate grep regex, not a copy of /var/spool/mail/customerX