There's no way to prevent it before the fact (but google for "SPF")

The only IP you could reasonably trust would be the one that the
recipient's mail server recorded.  The spammer can't forge headers that
haven't been added yet, so anything that the recipient's mail server
recorded couldn't have been forged (by the spammer).

Unfortunately, the most you'll be able to do with that IP is send off an
abuse complaint to the ISP responsible.  It will most likely turn out to
be a hacked/trojaned/proxied Windows zombie, an open-relay in another
country, a throw-away dial-up from some big nation-wide provider, or
part of a hijacked IP block.  Nothing useful in tracing the spammer.

A popular approach for finding spammers is to follow the money - look
and see who owns the spamvertised website (although they have some
tricks to make this difficult), who owns the 800 number, etc.