> I made an init script to run "/usr/bin/kdm -daemon" and it works.
>
> All goes well until /bin/login is run, it immediately kills anything
> else attached to all tty's and I can't figure out how to stop it.

Are you sure its login? login should be called by getty, and only after
you log in. Fedora starts xdm/gdm/kdm from init, maybe its the second
execution of kdm thats messing things up. Try commenting out this line
in /etc/inittab :

# Run xdm in runlevel 5
x:5:respawn:/etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon

Or maybe just edit inittab to start up in runlevel 3 instead of 5.