It's 1:30am and I'm brain fried from trying to figure this out...

Please help if you can!

I've got a Fedora Core 1 boxen (and others) that I'd like to have run
KDM/GDM/XDM very early in the boot sequence.

On all linux distros I've ever used the display manager is the LAST
thing to start.

I don't really care to watch cups, networking, etc. services starting
up on my workstation (my servers are a different matter).  Unless I
do something stupid they always start and I'd really like to just get
on with the business of logging and checking email while services
start "in the background."

I made an init script to run "/usr/bin/kdm -daemon" and it works.

All goes well until /bin/login is run, it immediately kills anything
else attached to all tty's and I can't figure out how to stop it.

Short of a crude hack I did by putting an init scripts at S99 that
does a read (to wait forever for input that will never come) how do I
keep /bin/login from clobbering my display manager on tty7?

I've read the manpage and googled for help but cannot find any.  Any

Christopher A. Gahlon