On Sun, 23 May 2004, Sam MacDonald wrote:

> The Justis Department can ask for any eMail from any vendor and get what
> they want.

IANAL

With a court order/warrant, which implies some sort of supporting
evidence.

> Dban works great but our local data retrieval company (Ontrack) may be
> able to get anything off a hard drive
> given enough time.  With that said, maybe someone from Ontrack would be
> nice enough to speak at a TCLUG
> meeting some time.  They may (I would guess they do) even know Dban and
> be able to tell us if they can
> recover data from a drive that Dban has been used on.

This was a topic at the last TCSA meeting.  Zero and then One-out the data
X number of times.  Run it through a bulk demagnetizer.  Soak platters in
salt water.  Shatter the platters and throw them into X different oceans.

Ontrack cares little about the underlying filesystem and OS.  They are
just reading strings of 1's an 0's from the drive.

I agree that having someone from Ontrack speak would be very interesting.
Clay, work your magic!