If "the man" comes down on the operation and knows about the hotmail
account, they will almost certainly subpoena hotmail for all of his/her
e-mails, and Hotmail will cooperate.

I think it's also a safe bet to assume that even after (s)he deletes it,
that e-mail might still exist on a file system somewhere for some amount
of time, in the form of a deleted-mail holding area, or on tape, or on a
redundant server, or something.

Worse yet, the logs of that message will probable exist much longer than
the message itself would, which leads to other avenues of recovery.  Was
the message queued on disk somewhere before it was sent?  Was it sent from
a financial company that is required by the SEC to archive all their
e-mails?  Does the sender have a copy in their sent-mail (is that
sent-mail an IMAP folder on the ISP's servers, being backed up regularly?)
If she viewed the message through hotmail's web interface, do the contents
exist in her browser cache?  Did she go through a proxy server which may
have cached the message?

Adam Maloney
Systems Administrator
Sihope Communications