On Fri, 21 May 2004, Matt Murphy wrote:

> Josh Trutwin wrote:
>
> > My wife works for an inner city Minneapolis public school, she would certainly welcome 5-6 of these.
>
> 	Umm, maybe I went to one of the better schools or something, but when I
> was in Minneapolis public schools the computers certainly weren't this
> bad! Heck I built my first P100 computer while attending southwest high
> school 9 years ago! MPS may not be totally current, but I'd think
> they're doing better than 8-9 years behind...

I'm not sure about this situation, but every year my mom asks me what I've
got for old crufty spare computer(s) I don't mind parting with, and I
usually come up with something.  She puts it in her classroom for her kids
to use when they are done with their work or as a reward type thing.  Then
at the end of the year she "auctions" off a bunch of rewards to the kids
and someone gets to take them home.  Most of her students don't have any
computer at home, so even something really old is better than nothing.
There are other computer labs in the school with much more current
technology in them, but you have to sign up for them, take the whole class
down, etc.  For 10 minutes here and there, that just doesn't work.