On Thu, 20 May 2004 09:29:46 -0500
Chad Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net> wrote:

> Chris Frederick wrote:
> > I've been toying with the idea of setting up a pop3 daemon so I
> > could read the mail with mozilla since it handles my other
> > accounts already.
>
> Don't use POP3, use IMAP.  I wish POP3 would die a horrible and
> painful death.  IMAP does all that POP3 does.  Check out the
> following:

Here here!  I second that!  Mozilla, as most email clients, supports IMAP.  IMAP also supports server side folders, which is nice if you use multiple clients, you can also setup global shared folders.  IMAP leaves your messages on the server by default so if you roam it's easier to work with.

> dovecot-imapd - A secure IMAP server that supports mbox and maildir
> mailboxes mailutils - GNU mailutils utilities for handling mail
> mailutils-imap4d - GNU mailutils-based IMAP4 Daemon

Maildir support is definately a good way to go, two IMAP servers that work well with Maildir are Courier IMAP and BincIMAP.

FWIW, Courier also has a POP daemon.

Josh