Bob Tanner wrote:
> On Tuesday 04 May 2004 11:21 am, Kent Schumacher wrote:
>
>>I'm trying to install ximians openoffice rpm, and it's got a gratuitous
>>dependency on ximians cups package, which of course conflicts with another
>>package.
>>
>>Is there any way to simply extract the spec file, take out the gratuitous
>>dependency, and then reinsert the spec file in the package.
>

> rpm2cpio | cpio -i openoffice.spec
>
> Edit openoffice.spec to your hearts desire.
>
> rpm -ba openoffice.spec

In the case of ximians openoffice, this leads to massive rebuilding (scripts,
binaries, translations, ...), and ultimately fails because it requires all sorts
of specific ximian development packages.  What I was hoping for was some way of
extracting a spec file, removing the one dependency, and 're-inserting' the spec
file...

> I can tell you that if you want to use the ximian openoffice you'll have to
> have a ton of ximian dev/libs installed.
>
> This is one of the reasons I moved away from Ximian.

This comment cements my conclusion that I too need to give up on Ximian.  At
least oo.org's tar file installs easily, cleanly, and allow parallel installs.

With all I've learned in this thread, I'll probably build an rpm that tracks the
files installed by oo.org's tar file.

Thanks,
Kent