Someone suggested netcat (or socat), gzip and dd via private e-mail.  It
sounds simple and efficient.  Thank you!

Anton Yurchenko <phila at cascopoint.com>

>Ken Fuchs wrote:

>I`d suggest installing some windows FTP server like WARftp, i`m not very
>knowledgeable in windows world, IIS might do :))
>scp is also OK, but places a strain on encrypting/decrypting.

ftp sounds fine, but how can it be piped to dd, so dd can copy it to
/dev/hda for example?  The disk image can be split into pieces and
copied to a ram disk using ftp and dd could copy the pieces in ramdisk
to /dev/hda, but I'd prefer a pipe between ftp and dd.

>I also do not think that SMB or NFS would amount to any slowdown,
>honestly I`d like to know why you think so.

Many years ago, I heard that NFS was about 20% efficient with Ethernet
bandwidth.  Of course, I don't know whether that is still true.

>>Anyone have suggestions on what might be the fastest way to copy a disk
>>image from an MS Windows 2000 server to a GNU/Linux client's hard drive?
>>
>>I'm thinking of installing cygwin and openssh on a MS Windows 2000
>>server and using ssh on the Linux system to cat a disk image file,
>>piping it to dd which copies it to the proper hard drive.
>>
>>I'm also interested in using a native MS Windows 2000 server and
>>corresponding Linux client (such as an SMB server and Samba client).
>>
>>NFS can be quite slow; is SMB any faster?  I suspect I should
>>stay away from using network filesystems due to slower speeds.
>>
>>An open source software solution is preferred.  Proprietary solutions
>>would also be considered, especially for a significant speed gain.

Sincerely,

Ken Fuchs <kfuchs at winternet.com>