Callum Lerwick wrote:
>>This is really dumb - there should be an easy way to edit the
>>dependency info of an rpm.
>

> No there shouldn't, there's no reason to make it easy to have completely
> hacked and broken packages floating around the net.

You're right, it probably would lead to hacked and broken packages.  Blah

> The 'correct' thing
> to do would be to rebuild it to your needs hah hah hah.

I'm looking at the build section of an rpm, and I see where it goes through
and recursively (auto)makes everything.  I do not see anything where it
specifically packages things.  Does rpmbuild assume that if a successful build
occurs, all of the files listed in %files section will be present and it can go
ahead and package up the rpm?

If this is the case, I can probably just do an rpm2cpio and then insert
an edited ls -R listing of the files into the %files section and rebuild
the rpm.  It looks like the pre and post install scripts in this specific
rpm are trivial.

OK, I can tell I've moved from 'lets get this done and move on' to playing
with things to try to understand the different factors.

I appreciate everyones input - it's been educational.

The null package is very interesting - I think that in this case a null
package may very well be more 'dangerous' , since I would be claiming to
provide a moderately well used service, where openoffice basically doesn't
provide anything to other packages.

You are right - the hex editor was wrong.  It was cool to see that the
rpm system wouldn't stand for it.

Thanks again,
Kent