Dana Millaway wrote:
> Okay, this is cool.  I have cleared my calendar for this!
>
> Now, keeping in mind that I am a raw beginner at Linux, what do I need to
> bring besides myself, the computer I want to load Linux on and some assorted
> power cables, keyboards, etc.?  Will I need to have CD's with a copy of some

Bring everything that you need for the system. If you want sound to work
then bring speakers. Please don't forget to bring the monitor.

> flavor of Linux or will we have network access?  Is there a preferred
> flavor?  Will there be an interpreter/liaison when all the experts go too
> fast and use too many acronyms? ;-)

It will be up to you to get the geek to slow down and translate. Most of
us are patient but not all. I will try to make it to the fest and I'll
be wearing a name badge, flag me down.

> I have experience fdisking, reformatting and reloading windoze machines but
> it has been a while since I have dealt with command line interface.  The
> extent of my Linux is how to login, logout, change directories and list
> files.  Will it be a total waste of my time and someone else's as they show
> me the ropes, hopefully letting ME do the actual work?  I would really like

You will do the work unless things get REALLY bad. If a guy named Munir
or Jima has to help you then you know things are bad, but not hopeless.

> to bring a used Dell Poweredge with a RAID setup that I would like to be our
> filtering/proxy server but if that is beyond what anyone wants to tackle in
> this setting, I would be happy to bring a PII or PIII and go from there.

Bring the PIII and the Powersludge then you'll go home with at least one
success and maybe two! I don't know how much space there is though,
maybe someone else can comment.

--
Eric (Rick) Meyerhoff