On Monday 29 March 2004 10:05 pm, Dana Millaway wrote:
> Okay, this is cool.  I have cleared my calendar for this!
>
> Now, keeping in mind that I am a raw beginner at Linux, what do I need to
> bring besides myself, the computer I want to load Linux on and some
> assorted power cables, keyboards, etc.?  Will I need to have CD's with a
> copy of some flavor of Linux or will we have network access?  Is there a
> preferred flavor?  Will there be an interpreter/liaison when all the
> experts go too fast and use too many acronyms? ;-)
>
> I have experience fdisking, reformatting and reloading windoze machines but
> it has been a while since I have dealt with command line interface.  The
> extent of my Linux is how to login, logout, change directories and list
> files.  Will it be a total waste of my time and someone else's as they show
> me the ropes, hopefully letting ME do the actual work?  I would really like
> to bring a used Dell Poweredge with a RAID setup that I would like to be
> our filtering/proxy server but if that is beyond what anyone wants to
> tackle in this setting, I would be happy to bring a PII or PIII and go from
> there.
>
> Please don't flame me for not being a total geek.  I'm one the new Linux
> converts who's been lurking on the edge watching it develop and waiting
> until I thought I could wade in and not immediately drown.  :)
>
> Thanks.
>
> Dana S. Millaway
> District Technology Coordinator
> Holdingford Public School

Generally you don't need to bring CD-ROMs. If you have a particular
distribution you want to install then bring it to make sure you can.
Otherwise there are usually CD-ROM burners (bring blank media or cash) and
network servers for installing from. If you want to bring the Poweredge I'm
sure you'd get some help, this group loves a challenge! 8^)

Some suggestions:
1. Do some homework. If you plan to try installing to a specialized box
google, google groups, and google again for any information on peoples
history installing Linux or the specific distro on the hardware.

2. Know what you want to do. Step 1 should help you get some idea of how long
it might take to do a setup. Plan a couple of stopping points incase things
don't go smoothly.

3. Don't worry about "doing it yourself". I can't speak for others, but I
don't usually stand around watching once an install gets going. I'm there to
help whoever and however I can,  so once your going your on your own until it
breaks. 8^)

--
Jack Ungerleider
jack at jacku.com