Quoting Nate Carlson <natecars at real-time.com>:

> What about the case (not sure if it's happened yet) where an upset
> employee posts something internal about their ex-employer, and the
> employer requests it to be removed?
>
> I've heard about this happening on various other lists.

I've heard about this type of thing as well, and it's certainly the type of
thing that could trigger a DMCA take down letter. As a couple of people have
already said, it is likely implicit in a "we never remove messages" policy that
an exception is made for those messages that violate laws, but we may want to
state it explicitly so as to not ruffle any feathers. As for other messages, I
think the "never remove" policy is a good fit. There have been a couple of
interesting articles about revisionist history on the net, publishers changing
online content