On 3/29/2004 4:02 PM Tom Penney wrote:

> On Mon, 2004-03-29 at 11:42, Bob Tanner wrote:

>>I'm looking for help on generating a policy that applies to removal of
>>postings from the tclug mailing list archives.
>>
>>The current policy was  "never".
>

> The point has been made, you can take a post off the archives but it's
> kind of like taking the turd out of the punch bowl, theres still stuff
> floating around _but_ the residuals are harder to find.
>
> I can see there being cases where if I were the admin of the list I
> would want the option to remove something from the archives. For example
> "Remove that post or I will hunt you down and kill you and your family",
> I'd just remove the post, call the cops and call it a day. We can't
> foresee every circumstance that might come up, we don't have a legal
> department to consult. What if someone said "MBI inc. has Malaysian
> slaves chained in the basement soldering for 18 hours a day"? Unless the
> person posting can back that up with some proof they should not be
> saying it, MBI would not be out of line to request that it be removed.
>
> Id say the policy should be we gerally do not remove posts but the admin
> can use his discretion in unusual cases, like slander, legal threats,
> crazy people, etc.
>
> I've certainly posted some things I wish I wouldn't have but I can live
> with my mistakes. If you let me remove my posts just because I was being
> stupid then you would have to do the same for everyone, the admin job
> would become a babysitting job.
>
> </$.02>

Make that $.04 - I feel exactly the same way. The admin should be able
to remove posts (slander, legal threats,crazy people, etc.) at his/
her/its discretion. One of the (few?) perks of being admin is having
some authority. Abuse of this authority is a matter for the group to
resolve (via slander, legal threats, acting crazy, etc.).  ;-)
--
jcf