On Mon, 2004-03-29 at 11:42, Bob Tanner wrote:

> I'm looking for help on generating a policy that applies to removal of
> postings from the tclug mailing list archives.
>
> The current policy was  "never".

The point has been made, you can take a post off the archives but it's
kind of like taking the turd out of the punch bowl, theres still stuff
floating around _but_ the residuals are harder to find.

I can see there being cases where if I were the admin of the list I
would want the option to remove something from the archives. For example
"Remove that post or I will hunt you down and kill you and your family",
I'd just remove the post, call the cops and call it a day. We can't
foresee every circumstance that might come up, we don't have a legal
department to consult. What if someone said "MBI inc. has Malaysian
slaves chained in the basement soldering for 18 hours a day"? Unless the
person posting can back that up with some proof they should not be
saying it, MBI would not be out of line to request that it be removed.

Id say the policy should be we gerally do not remove posts but the admin
can use his discretion in unusual cases, like slander, legal threats,
crazy people, etc.

I've certainly posted some things I wish I wouldn't have but I can live
with my mistakes. If you let me remove my posts just because I was being
stupid then you would have to do the same for everyone, the admin job
would become a babysitting job.

</$.02>
--
Tom Penney <blots at visi.com>