From: Kraigjones at aol.com [mailto:Kraigjones at aol.com]
Sent: Monday, March 29, 2004 11:55 AM
To: tclug-list at mn-linux.org
Subject: Re: [TCLUG] Fedora Core 1, broken X server

I now have a bit more detail on the problem.  Among other things in an error

log are:

"XFree86 Version 4.3.0 (Fedora Core 1: 4.3.0-42) ...
OS Kernel: Linux version 2.4.22-1.2115.nptl (bhcompile at daffy.perf.redhat ...
Fatal server error:
xf86OpenConsole: Cannot open virtual console 7 (Input/output error)

-X server log file: /var/log/XFree86.0.log
-X server config file: /etc/X11/XF85Config
-Kernel log file: /var/log/messages
"

So far I have not been able to get a login prompt so I can look for these
logs.  If I get the timing just right I can get a prompt on tty4
(ctrl-alt-F4),
but I haven't been able to login this way and see the logs.  The system
seems
to be hanging up in trying to open "Console 7", the X console.
Even if I could log in, I'm not sure what to look for.  Any help?

Thanks,
Kraig

In a message dated 3/28/04 8:05:52 PM Central Standard Time,
rick at eworld3.net
writes:

<< I think someone else had this same problem not too long ago. Check the
 archives for this list.

 Kraigjones at aol.com wrote:
 > I'm running Fedora Core 1, usually with KDE.  I was playing with some
Windows
 > stuff and Wine, and since then my x-server does not work.  The last thing

 > was doing in Wine was trying to install a game that had some DirectX
components
 > and IE5 or IE6 as part of the install.  Now Fedora seems to be OK up to
 > startx, then the monitor starts to go to a graphics mode, then to black
screen,
 > then I see a text login, then back to the graphics mode, black, and
repeat.

 > With Fedora, I'm not sure how to get my x-configuration back to what it
 > should be, without risking making things worse.  I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks.

 Eric (Rick) Meyerhoff