Josh Trutwin writes:
> I just implemented IMAP over SSL using Courier IMAP

I'd like to point out some great software that I have recently started
using:

http://bincimap.org/

Binc IMAP impressed me by being much easier to setup than Courier and
supporting checkpassword instead of a more complex approach.  I used Courier
for several years, but now use Binc IMAP.

I prefer to do SSL in a separate process, rather than building it into the
application.  stunnel works well for this.  The advantage of doing this is
security.  Not having built in SSL support means the application can be
simpler and doesn't have to link with the insecure OpenSSL library.  Keeping
the SSL in a separate process prevents a security hole from compromising the
main application.

I'd rather not use OpenSSL at all, due to it's security history, but I don't
know of anything comparable to stunnel that uses a secure SSL library.  An
stunnel replacement for GnuTLS would be nice.

--
David Phillips <david at acz.org>
http://david.acz.org/