Josh Trutwin writes:

> I just implemented IMAP over SSL using Courier IMAP and my client has
> two different SSL options for IMAP, one is STARTTLS the other is IMAP over
> SSL (sylpheed is my client)
>
> I am curious if anyone can sum up what the difference is between these two.

both are IMAP, use the same commands and act the same way, the difference
lies in where the encryption comes in. in IMAP over SSL(or IMAPS) the entire
conversation is encrypted from beginning to end. encryption is negotiated as
soon as a connection is attempted.

while in the STARTTLS method it is only encrypted once the STARTTLS command
is invoked. when this method is used authentication is usually only allowed
once the ssl/tls connection is negotiated.

to further distinguish them, IMAPs uses a new port 993, as is the custom
whenever wrapping ssl/tls around a service.

--
Munir Nassar