My comments are just trying to identify what exists already.  One can always customize by some amount of programming, and enough
source info seems to be available, as well as SDKs for Palm, etc.

What you seek (shared calendar subsets) seems to exist and seems described in what I have covered already though I didn't cover all
facets in detail.  I did shared subsets in my most complex case described earlier, where several subcategories on my laptop were
actually several of my calendar sections from my work PC, via my PDAs.  I had choices of which calendar sections from 2 PCs went to
which of 2 PDAs and the other PC, and did not invoke the native data record field "category" in any way.  Some constraint of
conduit-level file reference definition required that calendar sections from one particular PC appear as sub-categories on the PDAs
and home PC, but that was not a problem for me.

The feature to make "categories" within the calendar function is defined within the Conduit Manager for my cases.  It's defined in
two forms that seem disjoint.  The type that is a data record field is unused and maybe useless in my contexts, but both Palm and PC
can sort on this field.  I end up with a calendar hierarchy where the top level on all PDAs must be one PC's top one, but the second
level may be any mix.  I think 3rd levels and maybe more could be defined, but I stopped at a single subordinate level to contain
the collection of shared and unshared calendar segments.

My main point is that the conduit definitions, which are probably a proper subset of the Palm SDK, seem to contain a sufficient set
of parameters so one can easily build the calendar subsection sharing one may want.

My secondary point is that sticking to defined properties of Palm "Hotsync" interface is an option and probably w very wise idea for
portability and growth.

NB: I can define exactly which major sections of each PDA data are active in sync and which are "do nothing", or slaved, etc.  The
PC side is dumb, because it was defined to be "boss" before PDAs that smartness emerged.  Trying to shift that paradigm doesn't seem
a good idea to me for compatibility (etc).  I think I also have the access to define which calendar (and other) subsections are
shared also, but that gets *very* messy (my tree and data set is large already) so I try to limit the permutations as much as
possible for KISS reasons.

Happy hacking!

Chuck

FYI, the Palm side seems to be smarter in control and the superset of data in all in my cases.  I believe that shifting the apparent
PDA paradigm of being superior to the PC in conduit definition and control will become a *big* departure in architecture, structure
and control...  read "time hog".  I could be wrong, of course.  I have not looked at the "netcentric" things I've seen mentioned,
and that may be the world you really seek.