>>> superbeast at evilcricket.com 03/12/04 07:37AM >>>
> Hello-

> A friend of mine (really, it's not me!) has gotten himself in too deep on a
> project.

> Basically, a client of his has two locations. They want to run a T1 between
> the locations, and then from one office run a T1 connection to the Internet.
> Unfortunately, he know nothing about routers.

> While there might be better solutions, I was wondering if he could set
> something up like this:

> 1. site 1 has a linux server with two NICs, one connected to the local
> subnet, and one connected to the T1 subnet
> 2. site 2 has a linux server with three NICs, one connected to the local
> subnet, one to the T1 subnet, and the third connected to the T1 which has
> Internet access.

> Could this work?

Well, yes, I suppose it could work. You will need a synchronous serial interface
in the linux router to which you can connect the T1 CSU/DSU (think of it as a digital
modem, it will make it easier on your brain). You will need one of these for each T1
Line. Alternatively, he could purchase some inexpensive routers to terminate the
T1 circuits and provide routing, then use your Linux systems as firewalls and etc.
Used Cisco 2503s would be more than sufficient, or the newer Cisco 1720 modular
router - that can have the CSU/DSU built in.

> If it would work, would I need to add static routes on the box with 3 NICs
> or could it figure out how to send some traffic to the Internet and some to
> the other site?

For such a small installation, static routes would be very efficient. Alternatively,
he could run RIP or OSPF to maintain routing.

Let me know if you want more detail.

Bruce