> Basically, a client of his has two locations. They want to run a T1 between
> the locations, and then from one office run a T1 connection to the Internet.
> Unfortunately, he know nothing about routers.

I couldn't quite gather from your message the purpous of the Linux boxes
in the picture.  You'll still need a router with a T-1 interface at each
site.  (Details on Linux T-1 routers below...)

So at the site with the single T-1, you'll need a T-1 router, like a
cisco 16xx, 17xx, 25xx or 26xx (and possibly a CSU/DSU depending on what
kind of crisco you buy).  The cisco will have an ethernet interface and
a T-1 interface.  You'd have to get the IP information from your ISP,
but a typical configuration would be to have a seperate block of IP's
for each site, as well as a /30 (block of 2 usable IP's) for the private
T-1 link, and another /30 that your ISP will assign you for the host
site's T-1 link to the internet.

As far as the routing goes, by far the easiest way to do it would
require only 1 static route at the host site (these are cisco
commands...) besides the normal default route:

Host site router:
ip route 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 private-t1-link-ip
! The client site has 192.168.1.0/24
then set a default:
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 internet-t1-link-ip
! Set a default route to the internet

Client site router:
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 private-t1-link-ip
! Traffic for the local network will automatically be sent out the local
! ethernet interface (does not need a route defined), since eth0 will
! have an IP on that network

Now, there are companies that sell T-1 interface cards for PC's that are
supported by Linux, so you don't /have/ to buy a real router.  But your
ISP will probably not be able to help you configure it, so support will
be an issue.  It would work though, Linux is able to act as a router.
In fact, I know of at least a couple of companies that sell linux-based
T-1 (and ATM and whatnot) routers using x86 hardware.  I have no
experience with them though.  But with the cost of a used 2501 nowadays
the money you might save on hardware probably won't be worth the extra
support headaches.  (You can get a 2501 (2 T-1 ports) for a few hundred
bucks, and then buy a couple of cheap CSU's)

Another thing to think about is the T-1 setup itself.  It might be
cheaper to buy a frame T-1 at the host site and have 2 PVC's, 1 to the
internet and 1 to the client site.  This way you're only buying 1 telco
loop at the host site (it's physically 1 T-1...)  So:

ISP cost for frame T-1 internet access: $xxx
Local frame loop at host site: ~ $300/month
host site PVC's: ~ $50/month each (2 of these = $100)
Client site frame loop: ~ $300/month
Client site PVC to host: ~ $50/month

This saves you about $300/month since you don't need 2 physical T-1's at
the host site.  The drawback is that you can't get full speed on both
the internet T-1 and the client T-1 simultaneously, since they share the
same 1.5Mbit.

If they haven't purchased the internet T-1 yet, contact me off-list for
pricing.  We can do internet T-1's *really* cheap.