> Could you recommend a place to get intensive, hands-on Linux training,
> preferably in central Minnesota?

Work at an ISP that runs Linux :)  Seriously, maybe Bob or Brett will
let you volunteer for a week.

Techskills is in Bloomington (actually they are right next door to
us...)  I know they do some unix training, but I don't know if it's
Linux specific or how good it is.  From what I know of them they
specialize in Windows training, but offer low-end cisco (CCNA and CCDP)
and unix.

> running Slackware that is supposed to be a proxy/filtering server (probably
> soon to be moved to a Dell PowerEdge and changed to RH), and I am

HERETIC! :)