On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 17:31:17 -0600
Dan Rue <drue at therub.org> wrote:

> The tutorial looks good.  I am wondering, though, what the purpose of
> all that trouble is when you can just do rsync -e ssh?  I don't use
> rsync much, so maybe that's a dumb question..  But, it seems to be a
> heckova lot easier than using stunnel for it.
>
> Nonetheless, it's a good stunnel tutorial, and I suppose one could use
> it for other things.

That's kind of the idea.  I plan to now move on to POP and IMAP over stunnel, getting rsync over stunnel setup correctly was a good test as I don't interupt any of my users.  Plus it was kind of a rub that I couldn't get it to work in the first place.

I probably should make note that rsync -e ssh would do the trick.  Actually, in 2.6.0 it's the default.  Plus doing it this way forces clients to use the tunnel where as rsync -e ssh would still allow clients to connect insecurely.

Mostly a learning expereince that I hope to carry to other projects.

Josh