Monday, March 8, 2004   @   7:30:31 PM Central Standard Time

S>   I did a Google search as well as went to SIIG's website, but not
S> finding an answer to whether or not someone has them working within
S> Linux.   Anyone locally been able to get one of these working with
S> stability?   If so, any gotchas, & possibly some info on what needs to
S> be done to get them to work?

I believe I may have been the person who sent that message you are
referring to.  If not, I sent quite a colorful request for help last
summer trying to get that same Siig pci card working on a
Slackware box.  The group was unable to help me at that time, & I was
unable to get the card working on Linux (tried like 3 or 4 different
distro's) then.

I am happy to report the following:

Siig ATA/133 pci works great with Linux now.
As of the 2.6.N release of the kernel, they have included
driver options for this card (chipset actually).
I have not looked, but I do not believe
their are drivers for the 2.4.N kernel...not sure.  I know their was
no support in the past.

I am using this card on a slackware-current box,
with the 2.6.3 kernel.  No problems to report.
I would imagine running the 2.6.N kernel on your
favorite distro would work great as well with that card.

Other than the kernel, you shouldn't have to do anything special to
get it to work.  Just note that the Primary master on the card would
be /dev/hde, pri slave /dev/hdf, & so on.

Also, just use hard disks on the siig card & no cd-roms, or your
install will surely fail.

Hope that helps you.

Robert (aka B_o_B) David Felix De Mars
West Longitude 90' 15' 43"