> On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 11:58:10AM -0600, Joe Dunsmore wrote:
>
>>I installed slackware 9.1 and I'm having a problem.  I have the standard
>>two button mouse with the scroll wheel in the middle.  When I installed
>

> Is it PS/2 or USB?
>

>>I didn't have the option to choose a mouse with a scroll wheel (why?), I
>>asked other people about this and they said to put Option "ZAxisMapping"
>>"4 5" in /etc/X11/XF86Config, I did, but it didn't do anything.  My
>

> This is mouse dependand. I have an MS Explorer Optical mouse and my ZAxisMapping
> is set to "6 7"
> Show me the Section "InputDevice" for your mouse.

I did what Josh said (except I changed 3 to "3") and my mouse wheel
works fine now (thanks Josh).

>>mouse wheel works in redhat and mandrake.  Also, audio doesn't work.
>>when I start firebird or something from the command line, I get a
>

> Run this and reply what you get:
>
> 	dmesg | grep -iA10 sound
>
> ... and ...
>
> 	dmesg | grep -iA10 alsa

I got no output with either.  I didn't do what Josh said to do yet
regarding audio, but I will soon.

While I'm at it I'll ask this as well.  I've used the blackbox and
fluxbox window managers on slackware and I like them alot.  The only
problem is, they can be very slow doing certain actions.  dragging a
window around when windows are set to opaque drives my X cpu percentage
to about 95% and it's very slow with a large lag time.  Likewise,
opening menus on windows and scrolling up and down with my mouse or the
arrow keys is very slow.  I'll ask the bb and fb people about this, but
do you know why it's so slow or how to fix it?  I've used bb 0.65.0, fb
0.1.14 and 0.9.8.  Gnome and Kde haven't had any problems in this
regard.  I have an amd k6-2 500 MHz and 192 megs of sdram.