I inherited 5 identical computers, Pentium III 800 MHZ. They were used
as windows workstations by the company next door that went belly-up. My
plan has been to load Linux on them and replace our windows file servers.

The problem is that I ran memtest86 and they ALL fail. The memtest
documentation talks about false positives, so I thought memtest just
didn't play well with this system. I tried loading Linux (Mandrake 9.2)
on a few of them. One install complained of a memory problem, but two
succeeded and seem to work ok. However, when I copied a .5 gig file
across the network, it came across corrupted.

How can this be? These computers have been used apparently successfully
for at least a couple years. I have tested the memory chips in other
systems and they all pass; I have put new memory in these systems and
they all fail.

Things I have tried so far:
-Swap memory chips
-Set bios to fail-safe defaults
-Twiddle various bios entries that deal with ram

Should I just write these guys off, or is there something I can do to
fix this?

Thanks,
Patrick McCabe