On Tue, 2 Mar 2004, Dave Dash wrote:
> For others using Vonage, how has the quality of service been?  A lot of
> our calls are full of static or echo and on the other end even choppy.
> Has anyone else experienced this?

I haven't had any problems with my primary line (which is Vonage), except
those times I start a large download or upload (uploads are worse) that
consumes all my bandwidth while I'm on the phone. I'm still playing with
getting QoS set up to help that out; it's better now, but still not great.
If I'm just reading e-mail or surfing the web when using the phone,
though, it's no problem. I'm on a RoadRunner cable modem.

I do have a Virtual Number in the 253 area code, and when someone calls on
that line, there is a bit of echo.. just enough to be annoying. I keep
meaning on looking into that, but since I'm setting up an Asterisk box
with IAX peering now anyways, I may just cancel the 253 number and get a
toll free number routed via IAX.  :)

One thing to note - one of my coworkers also has Vonage, and was using it
with old junk phones to start with (like the really early touch-tone
phones).  He said it sounded horrible on those, and went out and purchased
a cheap new phone, and the quality improved.

Are you on the ATA-186 or the Motorola VT1000?