> well, qmail because I'm used to it and because it's not sendmail. X
> because I'm lazy and want to use gui configuration tools sometimes when
> my other machine is off...is X just plain a bad idea, or can it be
> sufficiently "battened down?" any links to docs for doing same?

I like Debian for servers, but I've been playing with Fedora Core 2 due to
the out of the box SELinux. If you REALLY mean security give FC2 a go.
Though SELinux support seems to be filtering its way into debian unstable
now...

I don't know that X is a particular security risk, as long as it isn't
exposed to the internet. You should be running a good firewall setup
anyway. Though you don't have to run X on the server, you can just install
the xlibs and run the GUI tools on a different box through SSH tunneling.

If you want GUI tools, Fedora's the way to go. Debian doesn't really have
any. However Debian does have really nice text based config on its server
packages through debconf, (which can actually run a X GUI front end too
anyway...) whereas I find fedora just tends to plop down a raw
/etc/whatever.conf and leaves you to it.

Anyway, Debian is really nice for servers, IMHO completely awful for
desktop use. Fedora is awesome for desktop use, but not yet nearly as
slick as Debian for servers.