Nate Carlson wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Jun 2004, Steve Linabery wrote:
>
>>on it, I plan to run
>>apache httpd
>>apache tomcat (with whatever latest j2sdk)
>>amanda
>>qmail (outbound mail from website)
>>ssh
>>
>>I'm looking for the distro that will be easily secured, has reasonable
>>security defaults out of the box, and is compatible with the above setup
>>(I'm talking about avoiding weird configuration problems, build
>>problems, ACL configuration with these kinds of services, etc.).
>

> Any reason you want to use qmail instead of a lightweight mailer like
> nullmailer? Also, why X on a web server?
>
> In any case, Debian should be able to do all of the above without a
> problem, and has fairly reasonably defaults.

well, qmail because I'm used to it and because it's not sendmail. X
because I'm lazy and want to use gui configuration tools sometimes when
my other machine is off...is X just plain a bad idea, or can it be
sufficiently "battened down?" any links to docs for doing same?

thanks so far everyone.
Steve Linabery