On Sat, 19 Jun 2004, Josh Trutwin wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 12:19:05 -0500 (CDT)
> Daniel Taylor <random at argle.org> wrote:
>
> > I would guess that spamc is trying to do something it can't and only
> > continuing when it hits a timeout state. Your best bet is to
> > turn on debugging on spamc, then check in daemon.log for the
> > problem.
>
> I would, if there actually was debugging on spamc, -D is only for spamd, which I have been using, but once spamd is done, I cannot tell what spamc is waiting for.  I notice that the default timout for spamc is 600 seconds.  A few messages get to that, but most take about 200 seconds.
>
> :~> spamc -h

Then use "strace spamc -c" and watch the output.

Strace displays the system calls and will show if you are hanging on a
DNS lookup or bad socket. It's a bit harder to interpret than most
programs' debug output which is why I didn't recommend it first.

--
Daniel Taylor
random at argle.org
Forget diamonds, Copyright is forever.