On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 12:19:05 -0500 (CDT)
Daniel Taylor <random at argle.org> wrote:

> I would guess that spamc is trying to do something it can't and only
> continuing when it hits a timeout state. Your best bet is to
> turn on debugging on spamc, then check in daemon.log for the
> problem.

I would, if there actually was debugging on spamc, -D is only for spamd, which I have been using, but once spamd is done, I cannot tell what spamc is waiting for.  I notice that the default timout for spamc is 600 seconds.  A few messages get to that, but most take about 200 seconds.

:~> spamc -h
Usage: spamc [options] < message

-B: BSMTP mode - expect input to be a single SMTP-formatted message
-c: check only - print score/threshold and exit code set to 0 if message is not spam, 1 if spam
-r: report if spam - print report for spam messages
-R: report - print report for all messages
-y: symbols - print only the names of the tests hit
-d host: specify host to connect to  [default: localhost]
-e command [args]: Command to output to instead of stdout. MUST BE THE LAST OPTION.
-f: fallback safely - in case of comms error, dump original message unchanges instead of setting exitcode
-h: print this help message
-p port: specify port for connection [default: 783]
-s size: specify max message size, any bigger and it will be returned w/out processing [default: 250k]
-u username: specify the username for spamd to process this message under
-x: don't fallback safely - in a comms error, exit with a TEMPFAIL error code
-t: timeout in seconds to read from spamd. 0 disables. [default: 600]

-H: randomize the IP addresses in the looked-up hostname
-U path: use UNIX domain socket with path