On 18 Jun 2004 15:28:43 -0500
Steve Linabery <slinabery at worldcycling.com> wrote:

> I'm thinking about building another webserver for a website with
> relatively high exposure (ie attached to the Internet) but
> relatively low traffic/load. Personal webserver basically for
> showing photos to grandparents. I'm a programmer so of course I want
> to screw around with webbish stuff on it.
>
> on it, I plan to run
> apache httpd
> apache tomcat (with whatever latest j2sdk)
> amanda
> qmail (outbound mail from website)
> ssh
>
> I'm looking for the distro that will be easily secured, has
> reasonable security defaults out of the box, and is compatible with
> the above setup(I'm talking about avoiding weird configuration
> problems, build problems, ACL configuration with these kinds of
> services, etc.).
>
> I don't know if it's ok to mention FreeBSD on this list--but I'll
> just say that I'm not opposed to using it.

It's ok, so long as you don't mention Mickysoft in the same sentence.  :)

I actually really want to learn FreeBSD, it has a strong following.

Anyway, based on your recommendations, I would go with Debian.  It's a good distro to administer from the command line via ssh and it works quite well.  Just about any well-administered disto will do the job for you though.

Josh