I'm thinking about building another webserver for a website with
relatively high exposure (ie attached to the Internet) but relatively
low traffic/load. Personal webserver basically for showing photos to
grandparents. I'm a programmer so of course I want to screw around with
webbish stuff on it.

on it, I plan to run
apache httpd
apache tomcat (with whatever latest j2sdk)
amanda
qmail (outbound mail from website)
ssh

I'm looking for the distro that will be easily secured, has reasonable
security defaults out of the box, and is compatible with the above setup
(I'm talking about avoiding weird configuration problems, build
problems, ACL configuration with these kinds of services, etc.).

I don't know if it's ok to mention FreeBSD on this list--but I'll just
say that I'm not opposed to using it.

I appreciate any helpful suggestions.
--
Steve Linabery

This electronic message transmission contains information from the sender's organization that may be proprietary, confidential and/or privileged. The information is intended only for the use of the individual(s) or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying or distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. If you have received this electronic transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately by replying to the address listed in the "From:"