Don't rely on the raid to protect you, always use some sort of backup that is
not on the machine you're backing up.  It'll be fine until the day your raid
array crashes and *everything* is gone.

Go for the 3ware controller, unless you're worried about cost.  Get a beefy
power supply (400w, redundant if you can afford it).

-scheides

On Thursday 17 June 2004 7:44 am, superbeast wrote:
> Hello-
>
> I am building a file server for a small company. There are only about 5
> users but they are transferring very large files to and from their
> workstations. Here are some of my ideas I would like to get opinions on:
>
> 1. I was thinking about going with 8 200gb SATA hdd. I guess I would get
> the 3Ware 8-port SATA controller and use hw raid 5. There are alot of
> arguments about using sw vs. hw raid, but I think I need the controller
> anyways just to support 8 drives in one box. Is that right?
>
> 2.I'm thinking about performing daily backups to the hdd rather than
> tape. The raid will protect them from hdd failure, and they only need 5
> days worth of backups. I think the only problem would be with a disaster
> situation. Any other thoughts?
>
> 3. What kind of power supply(s) am I going to need in this machine in
> order to support 8 hdds? I want to buy this stuff from nanosystems, so
> if you know of a particular case that would suit this need I would like
> to know also.
>
> 4. It seems to me that I could build a decent file server with 1.2tb for
> between $3k and $4k. Am I missing something?
>
> Thanks for any input.
> Kevin

Chris Scheidecker
Associate Systems Administrator
cscheidecker at iexposure.com
Internet Exposure, Inc.
http://www.iexposure.com

612.676.1946 x33
Web Development-Web Marketing-ISP Services