Hello-

I am building a file server for a small company. There are only about 5
users but they are transferring very large files to and from their
workstations. Here are some of my ideas I would like to get opinions on:

1. I was thinking about going with 8 200gb SATA hdd. I guess I would get
the 3Ware 8-port SATA controller and use hw raid 5. There are alot of
arguments about using sw vs. hw raid, but I think I need the controller
anyways just to support 8 drives in one box. Is that right?

2.I'm thinking about performing daily backups to the hdd rather than
tape. The raid will protect them from hdd failure, and they only need 5
days worth of backups. I think the only problem would be with a disaster
situation. Any other thoughts?

3. What kind of power supply(s) am I going to need in this machine in
order to support 8 hdds? I want to buy this stuff from nanosystems, so
if you know of a particular case that would suit this need I would like
to know also.

4. It seems to me that I could build a decent file server with 1.2tb for
between $3k and $4k. Am I missing something?

Thanks for any input.
Kevin