On Sun, Jun 06, 2004 at 11:56:01AM -0500, David Phillips wrote:
> Ian Stoner writes:
> > Is the benefit of journaling worth the cost in battery life?
>
> Journaling is more important on a laptop than a desktop, since there is a
> greater chance of an unclean shutdown (especially with the way that most PC
> laptops suspend).

Unless all of your desktop machines have UPSes, I'll have to call
bullshit on this one.  Since laptops have their own batteries, they
don't have the power outage type shutdowns that desktops too.  If your
suspending gives an unclean shutdown, then you're init scripts aren't
configured properly.  It should definitely sync the hard drive before
suspending.

Nate