On Fri, Jun 04, 2004 at 08:46:05PM -0500, Tom Penney wrote:

> Not true. How does the world know where to find your DNS Servers?
> answer: They check with your registrars DNS server for the ip ddress of
> your dns servers. If the registrar goes down you are screwed, Period.

Uh, no. The nameserver entries for each domain are inserted into the root
nameservers on a regular basis (2x a day or so). Your registrar being down
has no effect on any domains you registered through them unless you make use
of their systems for DNS.

Domains NS records in the root zone (ie, ns1/ns2.foobar.com) have A records
associated with them in the gtld-servers zones. (ie, ns1/ns2.foobar.com
will _always_ resolve as long as the gtld-servers are available, regardless
of if your dns servers are down, or your registrar is down.