On Tue, 2004-06-01 at 22:08, Sam MacDonald wrote:
> Run laptop batteries down to the end of the charge for the first month.
> Boot to a DOS diskette and turn off all power saving in the bios.  Once
> this has been done several times your battery will hold a better charge
> and have a longer life.

Lithium Ion, used in about all laptops made within the last 3-4 years,
is quite a bit different than Ni-Cad and NiMH, in fact this advice is
one of the worst things you could do to a Li-Ion. You should be doing
quite the opposite. Most people don't seem to know this. I think I
already wrecked a few Li-ion packs on my old toshiba before I learned of
this. :( They get down to ~%50 charge then suddenly jump to %0.

Guidelines to Prolonging Li-Ion Battery Life

Unlike nickel based rechargeable batteries (NiCd and NiMH), Li ion
batteries should be !!!charged early and often!!!. However, if they are
not used for a longer time, they should be brought to a charge level of
around 40%. Never use the battery care functions some cellular phones
provide for nickel based batteries. (This will deep cycle the
batteries.)

Li ion batteries should be kept cool. Ideally they are stored in a
fridge. However, they should not be subjected to freezing temperatures.
Aging will take its toll much faster at high temperatures. Keeping them
in burning hot cars can kill lithium ion batteries.

Buy Li-Ion batteries only when needed. Look at the manufacturing date.
That is when the aging process commenced.

When using a notebook computer running from fixed line power over
extended periods, it is advisable to remove the battery and store it in
a cool place. (Laptops tend to run very hot. Heat is the enemy of
li-ion. Also, li-ions can't be trickle charged, so leaving the battery
in gains you nothing but a built in UPS...)

More at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_ion